Every year we celebrate New Year on the eve of the 31st. It’s good to be thankful for having had the chance to live that year and to see a new one. But there’s no saying if a New Year would be better than the preceding one.
That’s exactly what happened to me.
So far, 2017 has been a one-of-its-kind year for me. Well, I should say it’s been the toughest one in all my life.
But I’ve survived. I never thought I would.
I know I wouldn’t have if it were not for the one faithful God Lord Jesus whom I trust.
I’ve learned certain lessons this year that I probably would not have learnt if it were not for the painful circumstances God allowed in my life.
I’d like to share these life-lessons with you today.
- Only God is 100% reliable and trustworthy. Trust and depend always only on God. He never changes and His love never fails.
- Acknowledge God. Do not forget him! It grieves Him.
For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. – Hosea 6:6
I learnt this: Don’t get ‘intoxicated/so lost’ with worldly affairs and relationships that you love them more and forget the Lord your God. Every relationship will pass away but only God remains by your side forever, unchanged for eternity. Honor him and be faithful to Him. Acknowledge God always: When things are good thank Him; when things go bad seek Him.
The Bible says ‘Press on’ for a reason.
- People are unreliable. We never know when they may disappoint us or abandon us.Don’t love anyone more than God and don’t have expectations from people(because they are bound to fail and so are you) but focus on your walk with God and better yourself.
- Never respond with ‘tit for tat’ it does not demonstrate love, but selfishness and pride. The tendency to get back at someone comes naturally, but the truth is that retaliation hurts, damages and destroys. I realized I cannot afford to do that especially with those I really love and care about; with those I want to have a future with, spend and love all my life.
- Whatever the circumstance, and however tough, Never give up. Remember to depend on God.
Cry out to God, trust Him and give it to Him. Then wait for Him. He WILL take care of you and NEVER forsake you. He will answer, guide and provide when we seek Him in whatever way is best. He is faithful who has promised.
‘The Lord is good to those who wait for Him’ Lamentations 3:25
No matter how tough, it’s well worth persevering, trusting God and living life His way (doing His will).
- Aim and learn to love those dearest to you, unconditionally, like Jesus did and expects us to do. It will reap a beautiful harvest, fulfill God’s will in us, glorify Him and bring Joy to Him.
One’s own people love one unconditionally most of the time with all of one’s weaknesses/mistakes. If you want to show your love to someone, endure it even when they are unloving and love them unconditionally so that they realize you love them like their own. Unconditional love is God’s way of loving.
- Feelings Yes, feelings lie most of the time when it comes to reaching conclusions about people and situations, especially negative. In this situation, it helps to remember these things:
- Contrary to the popular saying, don’t always ‘follow’ your heart or believe what you ‘feel’.
The heart is deceitful above all things. Jeremiah 17:9
- Whenever you get a negative thought, ‘capture’ it in your mind and give it over to God in prayer.
…we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5
- When we pray, God is able to take over and grant us peace that can guard our hearts and minds.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
Dear friend, if you are a child of God and have been going through a tough season, I want to tell you that I too have been through it. Please do not give way to discouragement. It’s not going to end the way it seems it would. There is purpose, there is meaning in what God has allowed in your life. I encourage you to focus on the fact that there’s a purpose in the hardship and your enduring it will bear fruit in season.
Wishing you the very best in every season of your life…Goodbye.